Proof of Identification
If you intend to vote by way of absentee or mail-in ballot, you will be able to provide either the last four digits of your Social Security Number, or your driver’s license / PennDOT ID number as proof of identification on the absentee or mail-in application. If you cannot provide either of these items, you must enclose a photocopy of one of the acceptable IDs listed above with your absentee request.
Qualified absentee voters in the U.S. military (and their dependents), as well as other U.S. citizens living abroad, are exempt from having to provide proof of their identity with their absentee ballot applications.
Valid Forms of ID
- A currently valid active duty or retired U.S. military ID, including the PA National Guard. A designation of indefinite expiration will be accepted.
- A currently valid employee ID issued by federal, PA state, PA county or PA municipal government. Expired IDs will not be accepted.
- A currently valid ID issued by a PA care facility (such as a long-term care nursing facility, assisted living residence or a personal care home). Expired IDs will not be accepted.
- A currently valid ID issued by a PA university, college, seminary, community college or two-year college to students, faculty, employees and alumni. Expired IDs will not be accepted.
- A currently valid military dependent’s ID. Expired IDs will not be accepted.
- A currently valid U.S. passport. Expired passports will not be accepted.
- A PA driver’s license currently valid or expired less than 12 months.
- An ID issued by PennDOT currently valid or expired less than 12 months.