- Domestic Relations
- Child & Spousal Support
- Medical Expense Support
Medical Expense Support
Covering Expenses for Medically Necessary Services & Supplies
The term medical includes reasonable expenses for medically necessary services and supplies such as:
- Co-pays and deductibles (for orders effective April, 1 1999)
- Optical services
- Orthodontics (for orders effective April, 1 1999)
- Chiropractic services
- Cosmetic surgery
- Psychiatric / psychological services
Guidelines for Medical Coverage
Parties must provide each other with the following:
- Name of the health care coverage providers
- Any applicable identification numbers or cards
- Address to which claims should be mailed
- All documentation regarding guidelines and participating health care providers, including a copy of the benefit booklet or coverage contract
- Five copies of any claim forms
Please note: Parties may be responsible for birth related expenses.
Communication & Cooperation Between Parties Is Essential
To get payments for medical expenses, keep the following in mind:
- Parties must follow the insurance company rules. All bills must be submitted to all available insurance plans. If a claim is denied by the insurance company for failure to follow their rules, the other party cannot be made responsible for the share of the cost.
- Documentation must be provided to show that the first $250 per person, per calendar year has been met.
- The party with the medical bills should send copies of the bills and insurance statement to the other party by regular mail as well as certified mail or a certificate of mailing. The exact amount owed and to whom, should be clearly stated (a Plaintiff Unreimbursed Expenses Packet or Defendant Unreimbursed Expenses Packet may be used). A certified mail receipt card will be returned to the sender as proof the bills were received by the obligor. Please keep this mail receipt.
- The party who is responsible to pay the bill should send the payment to the other party by check or money order so payment can be verified.