Highway Occupancy Permits

A Highway Occupancy Permit (HOP) is required for all construction within the right of way of a county road or adjacent to a county road. This includes: 

  • Installation of driveway or access road
  • Installation of new utility line or service
  • Installation of traffic signal
  • Installation of walls, fences, signs, and banners
  • Repairs to existing utility line or service
  • Road widening

Application Documents

All HOP applications must include the Application for Highway Occupancy Permit and the Opening of Highway Agreement. The Highway Occupancy Permit Rider is to be considered part of the HOP. 

Large-Scale HOP Requirements

We have prepared a list of items that applicants should include on their plans for large-scale HOPs. 

Special Hauling Permits

Vehicles that exceed the legal weight limit (currently 80,000 pounds or 40 tons) must carry a Special Hauling Permit when traveling on county roads. Application should be made at least one business day in advance of the movement.