- County Administration
- Planning Commission
- Restart Montco
- Affordability & Market Disruption
Restart Montco - Housing Affordability
Everyone Has a Right to Housing
COVID-19, and the resulting economic downturn, means affordable housing options are needed now more than ever. A loss of work and income will deeply affect those who struggle to pay for housing. And for those who are housing insecure, there may be few options available for staying healthy or sheltering in place.
- The Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University provides a COVID-19 page with official resources and their own research.
- The National Association of Counties has a wealth of resources on housing affordability and additional COVID-19 resources.
- Online resources are available from the National Housing Conference.
- For information about housing affordability in general, see how MCPC has addressed this issue through its award-winning workforce housing series.
- Strategies for Increasing Affordable Housing Amid the COVID-19 Economic Crisis
This article from the Brookings Institute provides a good overview of why affordable homes are crucial and policy directions local governments can take.
- Seniors in Affordable Housing Vulnerable to Coronavirus
This article explores the vulnerabilities to COVID-19 of seniors living in affordable housing.
- An Analysis of Philly Deeds Reflects the Challenges Facing Low- and Moderate-Income Home Buyers
“The share of lower-priced homes bought with mortgages has dropped significantly over the past decade at the same time that sale prices have doubled in Philadelphia” according to a recent analysis. How does this affect suburban buyers where prices may be higher and income is affected by high levels of unemployment?
- 5 Ways COVID-19 Will Change Affordable Housing Design
A slightly different twist on this topic—how will COVID-19 affect the design of affordable homes in the years to come if staying at home is the new normal?
- Tiny Estates in Elizabethtown Becomes Nation’s Biggest Haven for Mini Houses
If you think your community is ready to welcome something different, how about trying out tiny homes?
- The Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania hosted a series of webinars on housing and COVID-19 this past spring.
- Smart Growth Online has a series of archived webinars that address how to create more affordable housing.