Marriage License Applications
Applying for a Marriage License
Appointments for in person licenses can only be made for emergency 3 day waivers, with appropriate documentation. The process must still be started online. An appointment will then be scheduled for the soonest available slot.
- Applicants should take the necessary steps to obtain a marriage license at least 4 weeks before the scheduled date of their marriage ceremony.
- The license is not valid until three days after the Webex video conference (issue date) .
- A marriage license is valid for 60 days from date it is issued.
- Please note that if you cannot speak English, an independent translator must join the video conference. The translator must present valid photo ID.
- A marriage license issued in Montgomery County may be used anywhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Likewise, a license issued in any other county in Pennsylvania may be used in Montgomery County.
The fees for a marriage license vary from county to county. Montgomery County fees, including Pennsylvania taxes and surcharges, are as follows:
|Type of Fee||Fee Amount|
|Montgomery County Fee||$32.50|
|Pennsylvania Writ Tax||$00.50|
|Act 151 Domestic Violence||$10.00|
|Act 222 Children's Fund||$10.00|
Marriage Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be 18 years of age in order to apply for a marriage license. This rule applies to both male and female applicants.
Persons related by blood, up to and including first cousins, may not marry in Pennsylvania. Other prohibitions and policies are posted in the Marriage License Bureau of the Register of Wills Office.